Kettle Moraine Scenic Drive
|Length||115 mi (185 km)|
|South end||State Park Road and Kettle Moraine Road near Whitewater|
|North end||CTH-P / CTH-J near Elkhart Lake|
The Kettle Moraine Scenic Drive is a designated scenic route in southeastern Wisconsin that links the two units of the Kettle Moraine State Forest. The route traverses through scenic and historic areas, including landscape shaped by glaciers from the latest ice age, known as the Wisconsin glaciation.
Kettle Moraine Scenic Drive generally follows county and local roads. It begins near Whitewater, at the southern expanse of the Kettle Moraine State Forest's southern unit, the drive takes a northeast trek and passes through six counties: Walworth, Jefferson, Waukesha, Washington, Fond du Lac, and Sheboygan. The route's northern terminus is near Sheboygan County Broughton Marsh Park northwest of Elkhart Lake.
The drive passes by various opportunities for recreation and tourism in the Kettle Moraine area. Access is provided to sightseeing, hiking, biking, camping, cross-country skiing and fishing facilities.
The following state parks and forests are accessible via the scenic drive—from south to north:
- Kettle Moraine—Southern Unit
- Glacial Drumlin State Trail
- Kettle Moraine—Lapham Peak Unit
- Kettle Moraine—Pike Lake Unit
- Kettle Moraine—Northern Unit
The following historical sites are accessible via the scenic drive—from south to north:
- Old World Wisconsin in Eagle
- Holy Hill near Hubertus
- Sylvanus Wade House in Greenbush
- Parnell Tower, an observation tower near Parnell
- The north terminus and the northernmost several miles of pavement was part of the original track circuit for Road America in 1950. The corner at the north terminus was called the "Marsh Turn", and it is marked with a historical marker. There is also a historical marker along the Kettle Moraine Scenic Drive in the city of Elkhart Lake marking the site of the 1951 and 1952 start/finish line.
The idea of a route along the Kettle Moraine was believed to be conceived in the early 1940s by the Kettle Moraine Committee of the Izaak Walton League – Milwaukee Chapter, which was the backbone behind the development of the Kettle Moraine State Forest units. The first surveying of the area did not begin until 1946. The Wisconsin Highway Commission approved the route in 1948 and the first paving project was completed in 1950.
1951/1952 start/finish line for Elkhart Lake race
This section contains a table that is missing mileposts for one or more junctions.
|Walworth||Town of Whitewater||R and W Townline Road|
|Town of La Grange||CTH-O|
|CTH-H||Southern end of CTH-H concurrency|
|Community of La Grange||US 12|
WIS 59 west
|Western end of WIS 59 concurrency|
|Town of Palmyra||CTH-H||Northern end of CTH-H concurrency|
|1.000 mi = 1.609 km; 1.000 km = 0.621 mi|
- Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources. "Kettle Moraine Scenic Drive". Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources. Retrieved July 6, 2014.
- Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources. "Kettle Moraine Scenic Drive (Driving Directions)" (PDF). Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources. Retrieved July 6, 2014.
- Internet KMoraine. "The Drive". Northern Kettle Moraine. Archived from the original on August 4, 2007. Retrieved July 26, 2007.
- Simon, Brian (December 21, 1999). "Kettle Moraine Ride". Archived from the original on September 30, 2007. Retrieved August 26, 2007.
- Kettle Moraine Scenic Drive from the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources